Wednesday, June 20, 2012

More Decisions

After learning about ASA and how our only option to have a biological child pointed toward IVF, Justin and I began to fret about the financial aspect of this procedure. Just one cycle would be at least $10,500.

I started researching our clinic's website and came across two programs that they offer for couples going through IVF to help with finances. Basically, I would be required to undergo a surgery and several more blood tests to qualify for the program. The surgery was just a diagnostic hysteroscopy that  checked for polyps and endometriosis. Justin would have to produce a few more "samples" and blood for a few more tests as well. After reviewing the results of these tests, the clinic would place us into a tier based on our probability of conceiving.

The first program offered you up to 12 months of continued IVF cycles for one price (instead of paying for each cycle individually).
-Tier I: $15,000
-Tier II: $20,000
-Tier III: $25,000
The only thing the program does not cover is the medications (which are EXPENSIVE). However, remember that just ONE cycle costs $8500 without medication. This program is offering numerous cycles for the price of what 2-3 cycles would normally cost you. It sounded like an appealing offer.

The second program is a refund program. It offers you 6 IVF cycles for one price AND they refund your money if you do not have a live birth. This program GUARANTEES us something. I loved the idea of that.
-Tier I: $22,500 and 100% refund without a live birth
-Tier II: $30,000 and 70% refund without a live birth
No Offer for Tier III.
This particular offer sounded the most logical for us. We knew we were going to be spending a lot of money regardless of what choice we made, but this option guaranteed us something in return. If they couldn't deliver, we get our money back.

Following all of our testing and my surgery, they concluded that we should be placed in Tier II, mostly because one of my sonograms also showed a thin endometrial lining. This means we have factors affecting our fertility on both sides. Thin endometrial lining doesn't allow an embryo to be nourished, and therefore leads to poor implantation rates and miscarriage. I was pretty devastated, but Dr. Doody assured me that we still have a really great chance of success with IVF and that both of our problems are relatively simple to get around.

After all of the ups and downs we have had so far, we decided on proceeding with the refund program in the summer. We chose to wait until the summer because I would be off work and it would allow me to get to my appointments without a lot of hassle. I have never been more ready for summer in all my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment